4/19/2010

Writing and Speaking Appropriately

My friends sent me this video. I have watched it many times and each time I can't help laughing. However, I think it brings out a problem which is commonly neglected by many Hong Kong students, that is writing and speaking using the right tone and language. In fact, even adults will think that if a student's English is good, he or she can write and speak good English. Nevertheless, the fact is that we have to pay attention to genre and audience as well. One can write and speak very accurate English but fail to communicate effectively. This is not because of the accuracy but because of the context the language is used.

I showed this video to my F.4 students and they all laughed. You may show it to your students as well.

1 comment:

  1. Damn hilarious, Alex. Thanks! Our kids love big words albeit too much. I'll forward it to my colleagues.

    ReplyDelete